Thursday, August 2, 2012

Starcrossed Review


How do you defy destiny?
Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.

How I found out about this book-two ways. I heard about the second one Dreamless from Kristi (The Story Siren) on one of her videos. I also sampled the second book on iBooks on my Ipad. I was a little lost reading the sample which just made me want to read the first one even more. So I bought it! 
I finished the book Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini. I loved this book. I give it a five out of five stars because of many reasons. One, it was a modern day telling about Helen of Troy and this book got me really into Greek Mythology. Judging on the cover, it is beautiful. It has the main character Helen on the front in this beautiful light purple dress. Many young adults books now feature the girl on the front cover with a big ballgown dress. I liked this one a little better because it fit the mood of the book. It was light and flowy because it fit the description of the ocean.  I really liked the characters in this story. The main character Helen is this beautiful sixteen year old junior in high school. She always knew she was different than the rest of the people on the Island she lives on near Massachusetts. That's something that I also loved about this book. The setting sounded so beautiful. An island with the houses near the sea. Her house has a nice widow's watch. Even one of the giant storms still didn't keep me from wanting to live there. It made me want to be in the story, which I really enjoyed. 
The Furies, which are the women who cried tears of blood, were very creepy. Trying to imagine them, I freaked myself out sometimes. I know that I would never want to be chased by Furies and want to actually try to kill an enemy. 
The other main character Lucas Delos was fabulous. He had some excellent character development. He was of course a gorgeous character, involved with the Greek mythology, some amazing skills and still h ad flaws. The romance between him and Helen was certainly entertaining and I never really wanted the book to end.
The last thing is any problems I had with the book. But I am really trying to rattle my brain and try to think of one but it is not coming to me. I could probably say the length of the book but it did not bother me at all. 

Overall, I really really liked this book and I am super excited the read the second installment of this series. So check it out and you won't regret it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment